Saturday, October 21, 2017

The Stop light of sickness

Funny thought to me using a stop light but once again I was reading one of Mrs. Marlene Evans book on Cancer I came across this. The title of the chapter in her book "There's Life After Cancer" is "Talking Your Sickness" in this chapter she used the stop light as her points. I will be using some of what she shared as I do this post. (bold and italic will be from her book exact) I want to say I've watched many people deal with things in their lives and I so admire the ones who didn't let what they were dealing with in their lives define them. I think of Mrs. Evans - she didn't let cancer define her but rather she defined it. There's Mrs. Carol Frye Tudor - her brother was very sick, He nor his sister allowed his sickness to define him. There's my dear friend, Mrs. Kelly Johnson she didn't allow cancer to define her. My prayer and goal is that as I go through life now and after cancer that I don't let any part of it define me, but rather that I use it for good. Yes, it's part of my life but it doesn't need to run or ruin my life.

So stop light sickness? HUM??
In Mrs. Evans book she says,  "Use the red light about the people with whom you share the details of your aches and pains." What does she mean by this? After reading her statement on this, we don't need to tell every little ache and pain and the exact location of that pain to everyone. If you are asked specifically and it's someone you confide in, it's ok. However, don't go around telling every detail of your pains. There are some people you just don't ask how they are doing because you'll get word for word and detail for detail of their life. You don't have to be rude about it, there are times I'll be asked, "How are you today?" I recall on service I was asked this. I replied to one of the ladies at church with "I'm doing ok". She immediately says back, Now tell me the truth! Of course without great detail I told her a little about my day and how I was doing. Use a red light when talking sickness, know when to hush, know when to give a simple answer and when to give more detail.


The yellow light: "Use the yellow light as far as talking too much about pain, even with your "disease buddies."  Use caution!! You can get depressed constantly discussing your sickness. Have "normal" conversations with family, friends, disease buddies be an encourager, uplifting others. Share scripture and pray together.



"Use the green light if talking about the particulars of your sickness helps you, ask God to help you find some people who have a similar need." I have done this very thing! It has helped having specific people I can go to, call, or even write and talk with them. Sometimes knowing someone else understands is the greatest help next to prayer and depending on our Lord for strength and support.



Friend, if you have a friend or loved one who has an illness don't always talk about that when you're with them. Let them live and enjoy life. As I've read these books and reviewed materials on HER2+ and on the IDC I've learned but I've not dwelt on it. I have missionary friends I call, my Pastors wife, and others that I know when I need to talk with them about my health.

As you, I have a children to raise, a husband to be the best I can be for, a house that I want to look nice and clean. Can I do it all by myself? Some days no! But I rejoice in the Lord on the days I can cook a meal for my husband and boys. I rejoice in the Lord on the days I can go up and down the stairs to do laundry. I thankful for the days I can sit and enjoy a meal with my family and not get sick. Look for the things in your life that will make your day amazing and then turn around do it and rejoice in the Lord that he's given you the strength to do those things.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Have Been Blessed

Some new updates and prayerfully  encouragement  for any who reads this. I shared some post I had posted in other places. So the dates go b...